Tutor.com™ Learning Suite Available through Upper Saddle River Public Library
What Does it Do?
- It provides free, unlimited online tutoring sessions for students in grades K-12 who have a USR Library card.
- Tutoring in 60 areas of study and standardized test preparation.
- Student centered learning; tutors utilize: Demonstration, Guided questioning, Discussion, Observation and Feedback and Practice.
- Help with proofreading, choosing topics for assignments, cover letter and resume writing.
- File sharing between students and tutors to facilitate learning.
- Online skills center open 24/7 which provides online resources for further information and study. It also lists resources for inding local jobs and requirements for college entrance exams.
Who Are They?
- Tutors are teachers, professors, graduate students and librarians.
- Tutors must undergo a background check, examinations in their areas of tutoring and frequent quality control checks. They receive a performance evaluation every 45 days as well as random assessments. All efforts are made to provide a safe online environment for students.
- Students can choose favorite tutors and refer back to previous sessions.
Why is it so Useful?
- Provides extra support to students who might be struggling with a certain topic or concept, or to a student who has missed school for any reason.
- Online classroom is set up like a whiteboard, which students are familiar with. It uses avatars to represent student and tutor who interact on screen in real time.
- Student centered tutoring enables students to learn a new skill or concept using different learning styles.
- Sites for further study guide students towards sage, age appropriate, reliable online resources.
What Does it Not Do?
- Provide answers to homework or tests/quizzes.
- Take the place of teachers in the classroom or of live tutors for students who require intensive, ongoing instruction. It is meant to be a used as a resource to assist students and parents and support the work of teachers at all levels.
How to Access:
- Visit Tutor.com™, and create an account with your USR library card.
If you have any question, please contact Mary DeNunzio, Head of Children’s Services at 201-327-2583.